For clients who refuse (or for those who cannot) explain what is going on with them in traditional talk therapy here are examples five tools and/or methods that may prove useful. These tools dynamically improve the assessment and treatment process and can accelerate the therapeutic relationship in single sessions.
Here’s a few examples to consider:
1) With two pieces of paper, a pair of scissors, a lot of folding, and in under 40 minutes a person can learn about the differences between internal and external thoughts and feelings, the role of the professional in a therapeutic relationship, how trust influences the healing process, and how imperfections are not hindrances.
2) Using balloons a person can learn, see, and experience ways in confronting the intense feelings of anger, resentment and rage. The method is safe, fun, and highly expressive. The session takes less than one hour and can be duplicated (after an in office session) with or without a professional independently.
3) Sand can be useful in helping to deal with the stress that can accompany anxiety, depression, or difficult life circumstances; similar to the balloon mention (see #2 above) this approach is safe, fun, and highly expressive. The session takes less than one hour and can be duplicated (after an in office session) with or without a professional independently.
4) Building blocks can be used to both assess (from the clinical perspective) and mirror (from the client perspective) how they either confront and avoid challenging life situations; in an hour, using the building blocks, risks and chances can be discussed experientially, and identified as healthy or unhealthy. This method, after the initial session can be duplicated with relative ease.
5) Increasingly more and more clients are accessing mental health services in the digital and telemental health paradigm. Many clients now obtain all of their services working with full digital practices—where they have 24 hour access to their own client portal. 24 hour Journaling, emailing, file uploads, completing assignments in the client server, and even scheduling video/chat/telephone sessions. It’s now feasible to be ‘seen’ from a smart phone, and to share information in a HIPAA secure server 24 hours a day!
There are other treatment tools using music, art, and play that are helpful as well. For a professional consultation (or professional development training) on the methods identified here, including scheduling and costs, contact us for further assistance or see the prices & fees section of this web site.